East-West Center Scholarship Recipients and Student Affiliates are eligible to apply for grants to support conference travel and field research that is relevant to the Asia Pacific region. Conference grants cover the cost of airfare and conference fees up to $1,000 (US or International). Field research grants cover costs associated with original research for the grantee’s thesis or dissertation, up to $3,000. Grants are awarded competitively, in three rounds, through an application process. A call for applications will be sent approximately six weeks prior to the due dates for each round. Applications during the 2019-2020 academic year should be submitted by:
- November 15, 2019
- February 14, 2020
- May 10, 2020
For additional information, please contact your program coordinator or Mona Nakihei at 944-7583 or nakiheim@EastWestCenter.org. Turn in your application materials by email to Mona Nakihei in the Education Program.
The purpose of the Conference Scholarship is to enable degree fellows and student affiliates at the East-West Center to present scholarly work at professional conferences and meetings with a national, regional or international reputation. The application form can be found here, and it must be signed and submitted along with all supporting materials to Mona Nakihei at the Education Program office by the applicable deadline. Here are some important points about the opportunity:
1. The applicant must be presenting an original work at a recognized meeting/conference. Poster sessions/presentations, training sessions, and workshops are not eligible for support.
2. Funds may be applied toward conference registration fees and the most economical round-trip air transportation on an American carrier. Hotel room and board or travel to other destinations are not eligible for funding.
3. The applicant must list East-West Center affiliation within the paper and abstract to be presented and in the meeting or conference program. Be precise. For example:
- East-West Center Graduate Degree Fellow
- East-West Center Student Affiliate
- Asian Development Bank-Japan Scholarship Program (ADB-JSP) Fellow
- US-South Pacific Scholarship Program (USSP) Fellow
- Partnership Scholars (VIED, IIU, DIKTI, KKU, etc.)
4. The applicant must clearly state their East-West Center affiliation on their CV.
5. No more than one Conference Scholarship per student participant may be funded during their time at EWC.
Field Research Grants
The purpose of the Field Research funding is to support original research associated with the degree participant’s or student affiliate’s thesis or dissertation. Normally, this involves research outside Hawaiʻi, including laboratory or field testing. The application form can be found here, and it must be signed and emailed (along with all supporting materials) to Mona Nakihei at the Education Program office (email@example.com) by the applicable deadline. Here are some important points about the opportunity:
1. All university department requirements must be fulfilled prior to the start of field research, and there can be no incompletes (I grades) pending in the applicant’s academic record.
2. All EWC requirements to date must be fulfilled
3. The field research proposal must be approved by the applicant’s university department and the UH-Manoa Human Studies Program, Institutional Review Board (IRB).
4. Funds may be applied toward airfare and research expenses only. Airfare must be on an American carrier. Funds are not available for lodging expenses or food.
5. The total time away from the Center (on active award status) must be less than 50% of the total grant time.
For questions or additional information, please contact your program coordinator or Mona Nakihei (NakiheiM@EastWestCenter.org).
Other Funding Sources
Please also check out the Graduate Student Organization of UH for conference funding on our resources page.